Triumph 675                        Why buy one?

The time had come to downsize the toy box, three bikes needed to become one. My '02 MV Agusta was not being ridden and was beginning to show her age with some significant repair bills on the horizon. The rear hub was on its way out at $600 - $700 and with consumable parts such as a rear sprocket being $500+, an MV can be an expensive mistress (but what fun would a cheap mistress be?).

Selection criteria for the new and only bike was pretty simple: (i) stick with a 600 class bike as I find them a lot of fun to ride (though more work), (ii) something different (why become a CBR600, GSXR600, R6 clone?) and (iii) above all, something I would enjoy riding and owning. The GSXR750 made it on to the selection list as it provides a good midpoint between a 600 and a 1000.

This left the Daytona 675, GSXR750 and the ’07 ZX6R though as I was selling an ’06 ZX6R why buy another one? (The '07 model was very different but still a ZX6R.) This left the choice between a Daytona 675 and a GSXR750.

I took the 675 for a test ride back to back with the '07 GSXR750. First impression of the 675 was something like, "Oh my god, this is weird". Then I jumped on the GSXR and it felt like every Suzuki I had ever owned ('98 GSXR 750, '99 TL1000R, '02 GSXR1000) or ridden ('97 GSXR600, '04 GSXR600, '02 GSXR750). After much deliberation, reading and procrastinating I decided to go with the 675 as it was different and the reviews said all the right things.

With little difference between trade-in and private sale prices, I put the standard pipes back on and traded the MV. The RG3 pipes were later sold on Ebay. When the dollars settled the overall result was a straight swap for the 675 with a couple of extras (rear seat cowl, carbon fibre tank protector). The '06 ZX6R was sold to Dave Moore and the '02 Ducati Monster sold privately. So from two Italian and one Japanese bike to a pommy bike dubbed by a friend (?) as “the chip fryer”

Initial Impressions

The 675 was designed to be slim by running the frame spars over, rather than around, the motor. This makes the bike very skinny, like a V twin, between the knees, though the seat is tall (where is the ladder has been said by the “chip fryer” friend). The skinny nature makes for good riding as you can move around easily as you don’t feel locked into a set riding position. I believe there is an optional retracting ladder for those of shorter stature.

Brakes, chassis and suspension are superb. Running Super Corsa Pro tyres as standard the bike turns very sweetly and holds a great line without any upsets. The brake hardware is pretty much standard: four piston, radial mounts, radial master cylinder. All up, it stops, steers and handles very well.

The 675 riding position provides a great balance between head down, bum up racer position and a sports tourer like a CB1000RR. All the controls fall easily to foot or hand and when your riding, everything feels right. Probably the only gripe is a slippery seat; hard braking and acceleration can see you sliding about a little too much.

The dash is a work of electronic wizardry as it includes two full trip computers, one since last reset and the other since last start, which measure current and average fuel consumption, max and average speed, time, kms, etc. and a lap timer. The lap timer needs fixing as at the last Phillip Island track day I know I was lapping at least 10 seconds faster than what it was reading, probably a pending recall.

The motor is a real gem. Compared with the four cylinder 600s, it produces about 5hp more throughout the rev range with a near flat torque curve. It runs out of puff at 14,000 rpm whereas the four cylinder bikes can pull 16,000 rpm and hence make 2-5 more top end peak horse power and hold it for a little longer. Between the power and torque characteristics and the strange three-cylinder howl, the motor sounds and feels flat and without the top end urge you feel and hear with a four cylinder machine. What you don’t realise without looking at the speedo is just how fast you are really going; a very deceptive and very easy bike to ride fast.

Maintenance and Mods to Date

First set of tyres lasted 3,300 kms. Not too bad considering the Super Corsa Pros are sticky race rubber and this included a Broadford ride day and several Club rides. I did notice the 675 appreciates new tyres; quickened up the steering and made a good general difference.

First major mod was sending the 675 to Krooztune for a suspension overhaul. Not absolutely necessary though every time I have had this done, the results have been well worth it. Some $600 later saw heavier front springs and the front and rear re-valved. Set up upon return worked really well for the Phillip Island ride day though after a couple of Gippsland Club rides it was feeling a little stiff. Backed off a few clicks and it now tracks over any bump, anywhere, anyhow with great composure.

For paint protection I fitted a tank slapper ( www.thetankslapper.biz ). For US$50 plus shipping these are good value. Thanks to Paul Southwell for his time and effort to fit the kit.

On the downside a bar end fell off somewhere out west. This was covered by a warranty claim though with parts on back order took about four weeks to replace. I’m glad this was not something which stopped the bike running. There has also been a recall on part of the wiring harness somewhere under the seat; nothing outrageous.

Things being considered in the future are a pipe and matching ECU map. With the AUS dollar being strong at the moment a carbon fibre Jardine slip-on muffler can be had for about AUS$600 landed, compared to $1190 to buy it locally. Loading a new map to the Sagem ECU can be done via a laptop and some Australian made software called Tuneboy (www.tuneboy.com.au ), maps to suit the slip-on are available on the net. Cost is $529 for the software or $199 for an “unlock key” if you know someone with the software. Impressive results are being presented, about 5hp throughout the rev range.

Overall the 675 is a fabulous ride and a real surprise package. Triumph certainly spent their R&D dollars well. Only time will tell if it has the reliability to compete with the Japanese.

Darryn Webster