Tasmania� 4th � 14th March 2011 �(Part 2)


Misho Zrakic

Honda CBR1000RR

Cliff Peters

Kawasaki ZX10

Boyd Witzerman

Honda CBR1000RR

Mark Copeland

Kawasaki ZX10

Paul Southwell

Honda CBR1000RR

Dave Ward

Kawasaki ZX6�

Ian Payne�������

Honda CBR1000RR

Rob Langer

KTM 950 SE

Ron Johnston

Honda CBF1000

Marc Marais

Triumph 675 Street Triple

John Willis

Honda Varedero 1000

Julie Johnston

Ford Fiesta

Ben Warden

Honda CBR954RR

Julie Warden

Magna station wagon

Pina Garasi

Honda CBR600RR

Barbara Peters

Holden Commodore

Kurn Bridgeman

Honda CBR600RR


14 bikes, 3 cars, 17 people


Day 3, (Mon 7th) Tullah, Reece Dam, Tullah, Stanley, Tullah

This morning I took Julie to the hospital in Rosebery to see about her knee while the Club rode the Rosebery, Zeehan, Reece Dam Tullah circuit. While Julie and I were in Rosebery, we saw our Club members ride past. I wanted to join them, but it doesn�t always work that way.

I had a look around in Rosebery. Outside an old servo there was a late model Pulsar parked inside a fenced-off area. The car was accident damaged and looked like it had rolled down a hill and ended up in a river. I assume that because of all the silt on the carpets and in the armrests of the door trims. Whoever was in the car would have come off second best. �Concentrate or Pay the Penalty� the sign said.

After a coffee at the bakery we tootled off back to Tullah. Once there, I decided to go for a ride. As I rode past the shops, I saw the rest of the Club members. I swing in to see what�s going on. The plan was go to fill up and get a bite to eat before heading off on the next leg of the journey.

So, from Tullah to Guilford, Hampshire to Highclere, into Tewkesbury and back out, Ridgley to Somerset, passing through a multitude of back roads. The ride covered everything from tight and twisty, up hill and down dale to corners that come back on themselves. You would go over a crest and the road would never go where you expected. You had to be on the ball, or else. Scouts motto, �Be prepared.� From Somerset we followed the main road to Wynyard for lunch.

We checked out the bakery while Mark Copeland went to a bike shop to get some chain lube.

After lunch, Paul, Ian and Dave left the ride to go to Queenstown for the mine tour.

From Wynyard, we travelled the Bass Highway to Stanley. It was my first time in Stanley. What a quaint little town. Must have been something in its hey day. We rode up the hill to the car park to the base of the chair lift.� You could either walk up The Nut, or catch the $10 chairlift � return! The path up the hill was bloody steep� you needed to be reasonably fit. We took the chair.

Some tourists walked, but none of us. I�m working up a sweat thinking about it. At the top we went walkabout checking out the stunning views. You could see for miles. Some took photos for future reference. Soon it was time to come back down, �cos we had a fair ride ahead of us.

At the car park, Ben asked where the nearest servo was. I suggested that it was back at the major intersection where we turned on to the Stanley Road. After fuelling we are ready to go.

We only travelled a short distance before I had to chase and pass Ben, and tell him that he had left the top of his tail bag unzipped. He pulls over, zips it up, and we were off again, cruising down the Highway to Wynyard. We cut south on more back roads to Calder and Yolla. Then the long haul through the Hellyer Gorge, Tullah and back to Rosebery Pub for tea. It was a long, fabulous day, but worth it. [See Youtube video taken from Mark�s bike with Ben leading and Misho in the middle. Not a car in sight.� �Ed.]


Day 4 (Tues 8th)� Tullah to Maydena

Today we left Tullah for Maydena. It was raining when we left resulting in a not so fast trip over the Plimsoll Road, everybody taking it easy. Rain stops, roads dry, smile returns. Brilliant road to Queenstown, over the bridge and up the mountain. Watch the sharp corners. We always stop at the lookout and take photos of the countryside, noticing how it has changed since we were here last, slowly getting some colour back in it. Next stop Derwent Bridge.

Over the top of the range and down the other side. Wind gusts can make things a little difficult.

The ladies in three cars are already at Derwent Bridge by the time we stop for lunch and fuel. Though the rain had stopped, I still wore my DriRider gear. I thought better to be safe than sorry.

They have done a lot of improvements on the road from Derwent Bridge to Tarraleah. The Tarraleah Hydro-electric Power Station is the next interesting stop. Then on to Ouse Roadhouse for a hamburger.

Barbara was having trouble with the car overheating so Cliff was kept busy.

When I went to fill my hydration pack with more water, it ran out the end of the hose. The rubber stopper was missing rendering it useless. No idea how it came off because it is a press fit.

I was getting too warm, so swapped my DriRider gear for my leathers. Handy having the ladies close by.

On the move again, 14 km out of Ouse, we turned right on to the Ellendale road. Two years ago, I had the misfortune of crashing about 8 kms in. The bike and I were both a bit worse for wear. I was up and running, but the bike wasn�t. This time as we went through, Misho pointed out the crash corner. It seemed so insignificant this time.

Maydena next stop. We got settled into our accommodation. Just like home it was. Ben, Cliff, Misho and Pina, and Rob Langer did a run to the Gordon Dam. I wish I had because there wasn�t another opportunity. That night we had a meal at the restaurant. I thought the food was bloody terrific. It would have to have been the best food on the whole trip. That�s my opinion anyway�


Day 5 (Wed 9th) Maydena - Bruny Island � Mt Wellington - Maydena

I was up early to go into New Norfolk to collect a headlight globe for the bike. The road from Maydena to Westerway is a beauty with lots of twisties. I left at 7am and was back about 9am just when everyone was about to leave. I had done 164 km round trip. Next stop Bruny Island.

Back out to Westerway, but we ended up going slowly because we were following a Police Pajero. On to New Norfolk and the back way to Molesworth. I have never been through here before. We certainly travelled some interesting roads and saw some unusual things. It pays to go off the beaten track.

We eventually came out on the Brooker Highway somewhere above Hobart. It was a bit of a treat cruising down the highway, a change from the twisty roads! Before we got into Hobart, I started following somebody who I thought was Ben, but by the time I caught up to him I noticed it wasn�t! The ride must be behind me. I hope I don�t get lost, especially when I don�t know where we are going. Ben catches up and passes me, so that�s alright. I had better make sure I stick with the group through town.

Kingston, Margate and on to Kettering where we go down to the wharf and wait for the ferry. Ben organises a group discount for the bikes. Four years ago we stayed at the hotel in Kettering; booked the whole place two stories out. Fantastic views of the yacht lined harbour.

Julie W, Julie J, and Barb were still on their way to Kettering in the Magna. Soon it�s time load. We were directed to the lower deck, and up front, which meant we were first off. Still no sign of the women.

It was a smooth 20 minute sail across the harbour to Bruny Island. I was excited because I hadn�t been to Bruny Island before. Apparently more dirt roads had been sealed since Ben�s last visit 10 years ago.

Off the ferry we go, regroup, and then disappear in the distance. The sealed roads are really good. We travelled 9 km and did right turn, and after a short distance hit the dirt; about 10 km of it, then sealed section for 4 or 5 km, some more dirt, and then we pass the Lookout, more sealed road, and a spot of dirt before we get to Alonnah, where we have lunch at the Pub. The food was reasonable but drinks were twice the normal price. Bit of a shock�We had lunch outside.

After lunch, the explorers John Willis with Paul as pillion, Dave with Pina on the back, Cliff, Ben and Misho travelled to the south end of the Island to see the Cape Bruny Lighthouse. The group had only been gone five minutes when the ladies arrived. They stopped briefly, before following the others. No time to lose.

An hour or so later the bikes arrived back, dirty - �more gravel roads. We head for Cookville and Captain Cooks landing place, just past Adventure Bay. A fun road but a bit tricky; watch for other motor vehicles.

On the way back to the ferry we stopped at The Lookout on the narrow spit with a staircase to heaven. Only 1000 steps; just what you need wearing leathers. A few of us took off and stopped at a coffee shop somewhere, while the others subjected themselves to some rigorous exercise and stunning views. Back on the road again, we head for the ferry. Rob and John have gone on a dirty detour to the far north of the island. Eventually everybody (except the ladies) arrives back at the jetty, the ferry docks, vehicles disembark including Kurn!

Kurn had ridden from Devonport that morning, via the West Coast! He had done incredibly well, travelling all those kilometres in that amount of time, and now he was still going to do a lap of Bruny Island.

As the ferry was leaving the jetty, the ladies turned up with five minutes to spare, they thought. The boat left early! We waved and figured they would catch up again eventually.

Back at Kettering we got fuel before doing a loop through Woodbridge, Gordon, Garden Island Creek, Gardners Bay and Nicholls Rivulet on the Tassy Targa Roads. Awesome.

Then we cut across country and headed up the back way to Mt Wellington. It had started to lightly rain. I had never made it to Mt Wellington on previous trips, so I was in for a surprise this time. We passed a couple of groups of courageous push bike riders heading down the mountain without lights. Maniacs! The further we rode up the mountain, the heavier the fog became. Visibility was crap. And it was cold and miserable. I had to stop a couple of times because I couldn�t see a thing. When I finally reached the summit the others were stopped in the car park, joking around. You could see bugger all. I even said to Ben, �Whose bloody stupid idea was this?�

Ben took some photos and then it was �let�s get out of here.� It took me a long time to ride down the mountain. The views would certainly be spectacular on a good summer�s day, but not today.

On to New Norfolk Hotel for tea and rejoin the women folk again. We stayed three nights at this hotel years ago and it holds good memories. A spectacular house fire just down the road with police and fire trucks kept us entertained. Kurn arrived! After we had our meals, it was time to head back to Maydena.

Some of the group weren�t too excited about riding in the dark; we might come across some wildlife. It looked pretty good at the back of the pack, freight training it, headlight to taillight. A lot of people complained about all the kangaroos, quolls, wombats and cows. Nothing to report from the back.

Today was a very long day, but everybody thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

To be continued �


Ron Johnston ��